A couple of years ago, I wrote this post for BabyCenter. It still holds true for our family and we are looking forward to lots of wonderful summer evenings. I just submitted an order to Amazon for a new ice cream maker. We can’t wait till it arrives this week and start making lots of ice cream. Happy Summer to you all!
7 ways to spend summer evenings with your awesome family
1. Campfire with s’mores – Let the sun set, and gather the family around a campfire. Marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers. Let the s’more making begin.
2. Board games on the lawn – Spread out a blanket on the lawn. Spray everyone down with the bug spray. Dive into your favorite board games and let the fun begin.
3. Make homemade ice cream – Ice cream is a hot item in our household. We love all kinds of ice cream, but I have to admit, there’s nothing that beats homemade. The girls love putting the ice in the ice cream maker and seeing the ice cream form right before our eyes.
4. Sprinkler and water hose fun – Get the kids in their bathing suits (and parents too now) for some some good ol’ family fun with the water hose and a sprinkler. You can even get out the slip-n-slide and have races to see who can slide the fastest. Although they may not admit it, kids secretly love being sprayed by the parents. The laughter will be contagious.
5. Nature walk – Take a little bag with you on a walk around your neighborhood and see how many different items you can find that are a part of nature. Leaves, rocks, flowers … you’ll be surprised how many goodies you can find on a short walk.
6. Lightning bugs – Now, come on, all kids must go on a lightning bug hunt at some point in their lives. My girls are obsessed with who can find the most lightning bugs. We have so much fun running around the yard and filling our containers full of lightning bugs. Just hearing the kids squeal with delight brings the biggest smile my face.
7. Watermelon fun – Slice a watermelon outside and see who can spit the seeds the furthest. Haha, ok, maybe not the best activity, but the kids love it. Just sitting outside and eating a slice of watermelon can be fun too if you love watermelon as much as my oldest daughter and I do!