Much to our dismay, a hurricane is approaching the NC coast this weekend and headed straight up the east coast.
As you prepare your emergency kit with the help of Molly Gold from Go Mom!, I wanted to help you with wireless tips courtesy of Verizon Wireless. Most people don’t think about all their wireless needs when preparing for a hurricane, but it actually is a very smart move. Our cell phones can be a definite need in the midst of a crisis. Use these tips while preparing, you will be thankful I am sure.
1. Weather widgets and local TV stations’ apps for smartphones and tablets can keep people update on what the weather is doing if they’ve lost power in their house and can’t watch the news.
2. Limit non-emergency calls to conserve battery power and free up wireless networks for emergency agencies and operations.
3. Send brief text messages rather than making voice calls for the same reasons.
4. Don’t leave the house without car-chargers to ensure you have back-up power.
5. Keep phones, laptops, PDAs, batteries, chargers and other equipment in a dry, accessible location.
6. Forward your home phone calls to your wireless number if you have to evacuate.
Stay safe everyone and please listen to authorities when they say evacuate, please evacuate!