Can you believe it is already September? That just seems so crazy to even type that out. As we all know, when September comes in, everyone gets ready for one last weekend of summer vacation. We are looking forward to the long weekend here. One thing though, we started a new budget as of this morning. Why would we start before a holiday? Well, now is better time then never.
So, let’s see how we can have fun on a budget this weekend.
1. Visit a National Park – Kids are so fascinated by the outdoors, so take this weekend to visit a national park in your area and have great family fun. Hiking, canoeing, conservation projects, historical sites are just a few of the activities you will find. Take a picnic lunch or even items to BBQ there on-site at the park.
2. Enjoy a Museum Day – If you are a Bank of America customer, they are having free museum day this weekend. Even if you are not a Bank of America customer, you can do a google search for your area by typing in ex. Free Museum Raleigh NC. Recently, we took a day trip into Raleigh and had the best time visiting all the musesums and we did not pay one dime. The entire family enjoyed the day too.
3. Backyard Picnic and Campfire with s’mores – Let the kids help you make a picnic with easy items such as PB&J, pretzels, fresh fruit and enjoy a great picnic in the yard. Take out board games, frisbee, or balls and just enjoy the whole afternoon. Then let the sun set, and gather the family around a campfire. Marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers. Let the s’more making begin.
4. Park and Ice Cream - Visit your neighborhood park and be a kid again. Kids love so much when you get on their level and let your hair down so to speak. Turn off the cell phones and enjoy a day being a kid with your kid. Once you get to the point there is no moving your bones anymore, head to the local ice cream parlor for a delicious treat together.
5. Enjoy a craft day – You know all those pictures that you took over the summer? Now is the time to let the kids get creative and make a scrapbook. Lots of stores have picture deals right now, so do a search on Retail Me Not to see who is running best deal. Walgreens, WalMart, CVS, Target, Sams Club are just a few stores that come to mind. While the kids are crafting, you can make homemade cookies. Serve them up warm with a cold glass of milk then you could enjoy a card game to end the afternoon.
Hope you will enjoy these ideas. We plan to use quite a few of these ideas this weekend. Everyone have a safe and fun holiday weekend!